- 250gms of diced leg of pork (you can use chicken)
- 1 large leek sliced
- 1 large carrot diced
- 1 large apple, cored, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp of flour
- 1 pork or chicken stock cube made up to 250ml of stock
- 2 Tablespoons of olive oil & small amount of butter
- 1 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard
- 1 tablespoon of cream
- 1 tablespoon of chopped Sage (optional)
- 1 sheet of ready made short crust pastry
- 1 egg whisked to top pastry
Heat the oil in a large frying pan. Lightly coat the pork in 1tbsp of the flour and sear pork until starting to go golden, add remaining oil and butter and add carrots, leeks and cook for a further 10 minutes. Add remaining flour and cook for 1 minute, add apple and stir in stock, enough to make a thick gravy, at more water if necessary. Add mustard and cook until pork is tender. Stir in Sage and cream and set aside. Preheat oven to 180C/160 fan oven. Line small pie dishes with rolled out pastry, spoon in pork mixture, place a pastry lid on the top. Seal with a little water. Make a few little holes to let steam escape from pastry. Brush egg over pastry. Place onto a baking tray and bake for approx. 25 minutes or until pastry is golden and crisp. Serve with green vegetables either in the pie dish or carefully tip it out onto a warmed plate.
To cut down on calories you can either serve meat without pastry or just with a pastry top.